A.V. – 1903 – 2 hp
The A.V. Motor Co. was based in Aston Lower Grounds, Witton, Birmingham.
They were manufacturers of cycle motors and accessories. T he gentlemen in charge were J.G. Accles and F.H. de Veulle, hence the name A.V. De Veulle’s name was mentioned regularly in early Motor Trader magazines in relation to patents for carburettors. The firm presented its first machine, built up with BSA fittings, at the Stanley Show in London in November 1902. Bore and stroke of the engine were 2 9/16 inch x 3 inch. In the 1903 catalogue the company proudly declared: “ We have overcome leaky crank case troubles, lubricating troubles and contact breaker troubles.“ An unusual feature of the engine was the way the cylinder and crankcase were held together: “ The cylinder has a projection at the lower end which fits into a recess in the upper end of the crank case. A large ring nut is screwed on the cylinder and firmly binds the cylinder and crank case together.” Even more unusual was that the petrol tank, oil tank, carburetor, tool box and battery were all housed in a highly finished wood case. The customer could choose between oak, walnut and mahogany.
The carburetor was of the F.N. type.