Brandenburg Gate Quadriga after the Battle for Berlin May 1945

In the summer of 1793, the Quadriga was installed on the Brandenburg Gate. Atop the gate is the Quadriga, a chariot drawn by four horses driven by Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory. However, it remained on the gate only few years. When the French troops under Napoleon invaded Berlin in October 1806, and marched through the Brandenburg Gate, the fate of the Quadriga was sealed. In December, Napoleon had the Quadriga removed to Paris. In April 1814, the Quadriga was returned again from Paris to Berlin, and reset on the Brandenburg Gate with a new feature, the militant iron cross, crowned by the Prussian eagle.

The Quadriga saw triumphant parades in Imperial Germany and Nazi Germany until it was finally severely damaged in the Battle for Berlin in May 1945.

In 1950, the relics of the Quadriga was removed at the instigation of the East-Berlin authorities and predominantly destroyed.

On September 27th, 1958, the Quadriga was restored and installed without cross and eagle on the Brandenburg Gate. The Iron Cross was replaced with a wreath. In 1991 after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Quadriga was further renovated and the Prussian Iron Cross and eagle appeared again on the pinnacle of Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory’s staff!

Brandenburg gate Quadriga

Brandenburg gate Quadriga

This entry was posted in Berlin, History, landscape, Nazi Germany, war. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply