1960 – 69

Racing Memoriam – Post World War Two :

 1960 – 69

Peter FERBRACHE Dutch TT 350cc, 26 June 1960, Assen – He was transported to a hospital where he died three days after the accident, on 28 June 1960, without regaining consciousness. Ferbrache had been an official rider for Montesa.

Bob BROWN German GP 1960, Solitude  Bob Brown (9 May 1930 in Sydney – 23 July 1960 at Solituderennen) was an Australian Grand Prix motorcycle road racer. His best season was in 1959 when he finished in third place in both the 350cc and 500cc world championships. Brown was killed during practice for the 1960 West German Grand Prix.

Dickie DALE April 1961 Nurburgring Germany. Richard H. Dale (25 April 1927 –30 April 1961) was a Grand Prix motorcycle road racer born in Wyberton near Boston, Lincolnshire, England. He competed in the inaugural 1949 Grand Prix motorcycle racing season. Dale was a victor in the 1951 North West 200. His best seasons were 1955 and 1956 when he finished in second place in the 350cc world championship, both times behind his Moto Guzzi team-mate Bill Lomas. Dale also competed in the 500cc class aboard Moto Guzzi’s famous V8 Grand Prix bike. He died on the way to hospital after crashing during the 1961 Eifelrennen race at Nürburgring, Germany.

Ralph RENSEN TT 16 June 1961, Isle of Man. Ralph was a Grand Prix motorcycle road racer. He finished the 1961 Grand Prix motorcycle racing season in sixth place in the 350cc world championship. Rensen was killed whilst competing in the 1961 Isle of Man Senior Tourist Trophy, aged 28 years.

(Thanks to Jan Ebeltjes for the pic)


Marie Laure LAMBERT Sidecar TT (passenger), 1961, Isle of Man – Swiss motorcycle racer. Marie Lambert competed as a female passenger with sidecar driver and husband Claude Lambert. At the 1961 Isle of Man TT Races the BMW sidecar outfit of Claude Lambert and Marie Lambert crashed at Gob-ny-Geay (35th Milestone) above Brandish Corner and Marie Lambert died from her injuries.

(Photograph courtesy of her husband Claude Lambert) Also pic here (www.bbhmg.eu)

Ron MILES Ulster GP – 9 Aug 1961 – Dundrod – crashed in practice for the Ulster Grand Prix riding a 350 Norton.

Fred NEVILLE: September 1961 – Appledene – 1961 Manx Grand Prix Junior Tom Arter 350cc AJS 7R – crashed whilst leading in rain lashed race at Greeba Bridge whilst on the last lap.


Tom PHILLIS Junior TT 1962, Isle of Man  (pic here). Thomas Edward Phillis (9 April 1934 in Sydney – 6 June 1962) was a Grand Prix motorcycle road racer. In 1961, he won Honda’s first championship race when he took the 1961 125cc Spanish Grand Prix. He went on to win the FIM 1961 125cc World Championship. This was also Honda’s first world championship. Phillis was married to Betty and they had two children, Debra and Braddan. He died while competing in the 1962 Isle of Man TT. He was cremated and his ashes were scattered at the TT race course startline. The defending 500 cc world champion, Gary Hocking, was so affected by the death of his friend that he immediately retired from motorcycle competition.

Bob MCINTYRE Oulton Park 1962

 He is most famously associated with the Isle of Man TT race, where he was the first to record a 100mph (160 km/hr) lap. Robert MacGregor McIntyre (28 November 1928 Scotstoun, Glasgow – 15 August 1962) was a Scottish motorcycle racer famous for five motorcycle Grand Prix wins which included three wins at the Isle of Man TT Races, and four victories in the North West 200. In 1957, owing to personal intervention by injured Gilera works rider Geoff Duke, McIntyre was offered a ride on the four cylinder Gileras for the Isle of Man TT. Race week began with the Junior TT. He broke the lap record with a 97.42 mph (156.78 km/h) and his race average was 94.99 mph (152.87 km/h). In celebration of the Golden Jubilee, the Senior was run over eight laps, a race of 302 miles (486 km). The Gileras had pannier fuel tanks built into the side of the fairings to carry extra fuel. The extra fuel weight didn’t stop him from making a 99.99 mph (160.92 km/h) first lap. The second lap saw 101.03 mph (162.59 km/h), and the fourth lap was the fastest at 101.12 mph (162.74 km/h). He caught up to, and overtook 1956 World Champion, John Surtees who was riding an MV Agusta 500. McIntyre went on to win, after racing for three hours, two minutes and fifty-seven seconds. This was Bob McIntyre’s best TT. The 1957 World Championship looked to be within reach, but a crash at Assen, in the Dutch TT meant he was out of action for a couple of months. He did come second in the 500 cc Ulster Grand Prix, and won the 350 cc Nations Grand Prix at Monza. His team mate Libero Liberati won the 500 cc World Championship that year, with Bob McIntyre coming second. Bob was third in the 350 cc World Championship as well.

At the end of 1957 the Italian teams quit Grand Prix racing citing increasing costs. In November 1957, with racing over, Gilera had McIntyre ride a 350 cc racer around the banked Monza circuit in an attempt to break the one hour speed record, and he averaged 141 mph (227 km/h) on the bumpy Monza surface. This record was not bettered until 1964, and then by Mike Hailwood at 144.8 on an MV Agusta, on the track at Daytona. In the 1961 Isle of Man TT Lightweight he raised the lap record to 99.58 mph (160.26 km/h), and had a strong lead, when his engine seized, ending his race. Riding a Norton in the Senior TT he came second. He won the 1961 250cc Ulster Grand Prix. In the 1962 Isle of Man Lightweight TT, he raised the lap record to 99.61, and then retired with electrical problems. He also rode in Grand Prix races on Honda and Bianchi, making the podium in Holland, Belgium, and East Germany. In 1962 McIntyre finished second in the Spanish and French Grands Prix, while he had a non-start in the 500 Senior TT and mechanical problems in both the 250 and 350 cc events. He went on to win the Belgium GP at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit in the Ardennes, his last victory on the World stage. McIntyre still competed in non-championship events, and it was at one such event at Oulton Park, Cheshire in August 1962 that he won the 250 cc race, and then started in the 500 cc race on his Manx Norton. After a bad start in poor conditions, he fought his way to the front before crashing, and sustaining serious injuries. After nine days in hospital, he died, an outstanding racer, and a great loss to the motorcycling world.

Harold SCHOLES fatally injured at Brands Hatch – 19 August 1962 – whilst competing on a  sidecar and died of his injuries 9 days later 28 August 1962 

Dave DOWNER 12 May 1963 – killed in a race at Brands Hatch in a controversial incident involving Derek Minter when Derek lost traction and Dave in avoiding the crash hit a tree and was fatally injured


Marcelin HERRANZ French GP – 1 June 1963 – Charade. Marcelin , from Paris, France, was killed during time trials for the Grand Prix de France. His 250 Morini left the road on the precipitous Clermont-Ferrand circuit and Marcelin died from the fall.. 

(pic by Stéphane Lecoq)

Morrie LOW (NZ) – 8 August 1964 – Schauinsland Hill-climb. New Zealander rider Morrie Low was killed in an accident whilst practicing for the ADAC-Bergpreis at the Freiburg –Schauinsland hillclimb. Morrie was riding an AJS 350.

Karl RECKTENWALD 19 July 1964, WM-Race Solitude, Germany. During the  Großer Preis von Deutschland Walter Scheimann’s gearbox locked-up and in crashing he took out Karl Recktenwald. Scheimann was only bruised but Karl had broken his legs. Unfortunatley Karl Recktenwald later died in hospital.


Vernon COTTLE – Finnish GP 6 September 1964, Imatra. Vernon lost control of his AJS 350 on the approach to the Savikanta bend and crashed. He was admitted to the intensive care unit of the Imatra hospital. Sadly he passed away eight days later, on Sunday, 6 September 1964.  Vernon Cottle was 38 and lived at Cherry Tree Cottage, in Hambrook, South Gloucestershire, England. A popular racer, he took part in the Isle of Man TT 9 times. In 1964 he entered the World Motorcycle Championship, 350 class, on his AJS.

Ramon TORRAS Killed Spanish GP 1965, Comarruga, Spain. Ramon Torras Figueras (Barcelona, December 22, 1942 – Coma-ruga May 30, 1965) was a Catalan Grand Prix motorcycle road racer from Spain. Torras was born in Barcelona. His best year was 1965, when he finished in eighth place in the 250cc world championship.

(Pic courtesy Helmut Ohner and his fabulous Motorsport Autographs website)

Florian CAMATHIAS sidecar crash Brands Hatch – Oct 1965. Florian Camathias was born in Wittenbach (San Gallo), Switzerland, and was a leading sidecar racer. In 1945 he finished 3rd in the 500cc solo class at Losanna. In 1953 he achieved his first sidecar race win, and the following year saw him riding for Gilera, winning in Barcelona and finishing 7th in the World Championships. By 1955, he was on a BMW, winning the French GP and winning the Swiss Championship. He came 5th in the 1956 World Championship. 1958 saw him take his first GP win at Assen, Holland. In 1961 his passenger was killed at Modena, and he cut back on his racing.1963 saw him win his one and only TT race – one of his proudest moments.1964 saw him try a Gilera outfit again but he soon returned to his BMW, and in 1965 won the French GP again. 

Brian DUFFY: (no pic available) – IOM TT 28 August 1966 – Yamaha seized on the Mountain – Duffy a veteran 47 year old racer was killed instantly.

Toshio FUJII TT 26 August 1966, Isle of Man – Kawasaki 125. The 1965 Hutchinson 100 Melano Trophy winner on a 50cc works Suzuki, Toshio crashed in practice on his first visit to the island. Toshio Fujii came with the factory Kawasaki team in 1966, having had the factory’s first European outing at the West German GP. Toshio Fujii was an official Kawasaki entry on a 125cc water cooled twin. Unfortunately he died after the practice crash at May Hill. 

Fritz SCHEIDEGGER sidecar – 26 Mar 1967. Whilst in the lead at Mallory Park Fritz was killed instantly after crashing at the Hairpin. The crash occurred when his brake lever broke and despite trying to reduce speed using the hand-brake and gearbox he was unable to recover and avoid a massive spill.  

Fritz was from Switzerland and owned a service station and workshop in Langenthal. He  became the Swiss national sidecar champion four times from 1956. In 1958 he raced  in the World Sidecar Championship and was highly competitive. In 1965 Scheidegger and Robinson won their first World Championship. The following year Fritz won again. By the end of 1966 he announced his retirement from racing but then he decided to go on for another year. The Easter meeting at Mallory Park was the first race of the season.

Frank MILLINGTON: Frank was killed when he crashed his Norton during the unlimited race of the Carrowdore 100 on 09 September 1967.

Memorial submitted by his friend John Pennington: “We started our racing carriers together at Caldwell Park after we had ridden there him on his Goldstar & me on my Norton dominator. I stripped the gold star in the Paddock got it through Scrutiny he raced it then after meeting I rebuilt it back to road legal & we rode home. Wonderful memories“.

Ian D.VEITCH:10 June 1968 – IOM TT – New Zealander Ian Veitch crashed his Kawasaki 250 into a wall in the Lightweight Tourist Trophy at Ballagarey. Ian was killed instantly.

Josef SCHILLINGER Belgian GP sidecars – 7 Jul 1968, Spa – The 1968 sidecar Grand Prix de Belgique featured a very competitive race between the BMW outfits of Johann Attenberger and his passenger Josef Schillinger and Georg Auerbacher and his passenger Hermann Hahn. Attenberger lost control on the last lap at full speed down the Masta Straight, hit the corner of a house and then crashed into a pine tree. The twooutfits may have collided before the crash. Unfortunately, Attenberger and Schillinger were killed instantly. Attenberger and Schillinger had won the Dutch TT at Assen just one week earlier, and were leading the World Sidecar Championship.

Johann ATTENBERGER 7 Jul 1968 – Johann Attenberger  and Joseph Schillinger died in the crash of their sidecar during the GP of Belgium at Spa


John HARTLE 31 Aug 1968 Scarborough (December 22, 1933 in Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire – August 31, 1968) was a British Grand Prix motorcycle road racer. Hartle began racing in 1954 and in 1956 he signed for Norton to ride for them in what would be the last year for the factory team. MV Agusta signed him in 1958 at the urging of John Surtees. He ended the season as runner-up to Surtees in the 500 and 350 classes. In 1960, he won his first Isle of Man TT winning the Junior TT. After being released by MV Agusta, he rode for Geoff Duke’s privateer Gilera team. Hartle was killed in 1968 after crashing at the Oliver’s Mount circuit in Scarborough.

Keith SMITH: died 2 Sep 1968 – on the way to hospital after crashing at the Crystal Palace Circuit London

Alois HOFER 8 Sep 1968 – Gaisburg Germany (pic courtesy Helmut Ohner). In a tragic accident the Austrian rider Alois Hofer from Graz, crashed his two-cylinder Puch Type 262 RS in the 1968 Gaisberg hillclimb. The accident itself seemed insinificant but the bike caught fire and the flames engulfed Alois causing him fatal injury. Albin Sterbenz and the very talented mechanic and racing driver Alois Hofer had set out to design a competitive twin-cylinder racing bike in order to later on build a good production model from it, deserves its own chapter in the Puch racing sport history. Unfortunately this chapter is also the saddest one, because it marked not only the end of the company’s engagement in racing, but racing also claimed the life of Alois Hofer, born 1933. The twin-cylinder engine consisted of two conjoined 125M engines. After a lot of work they finally obtained 50 PS in the performance test, a tremendous result at that time. It was mounted in a tubular frame patterned after the Norton Featherbed  frame. For the transmission a 6-gear transmission unit was used since the bike was primarily raced in hillclimbs. Many national races were won in 1968 but this year was also fatal for Alois Hofer. A crash that was relatively harmless cost him his life when his racing leathers caught fire. This caused Puch to withdraw from racing and it was also the end of races on the Gaisberg. A sad tale indeed.

Puch 262 RS

Bill IVY East German GP 350 1969, Sachsenring. William David Ivy (27 August 1942–12 July 1969) was a British Grand Prix motorcycle road racer from Maidstone, Kent. Ivy started racing motorbikes at Brands Hatch in 1959. He raced in the Grand Prix motorcycle racing championship towards the end of 1965, where he finished fourth in two 125 cc races and third in a 250 cc race. In 1966, he raced for the works Yamaha team, won the first race of the year at the Montjuich Circuit in Spain, and took three more wins—not enough, however, to beat Swiss rider Luigi Taveri, who beat Ivy to the title by six points.

In 1967, Ivy dominated the 125 cc championship: he won eight out of twelve races to claim the World Championship by 16 points over Phil Read. On top of this, he won two 250 cc races in France and Belgium.

In 1968, Ivy and teammate Phil Read controlled both the 125 and 250 cc championships. In the process Ivy also became the first 125cc rider to lap the famous Isle Of Man TT Mountain Course at over 100 mph. As the season progressed, Yamaha ordered them to win one title each, with Ivy scheduled to win the 250 cc championship and Read the 125 cc championship.[1] After securing the 125 cc title, Read ignored Yamaha’s orders to tie with Ivy on points. The tie break was decided on overall race times, and Read took the title. Ivy announced his retirement from motorcycle racing, stating he would race Formula Two cars during the next season. Despite showing some impressive results in Formula Two, he was enticed back to motorcycling by an offer from Jawa in 1969 to race their 350 cc motorcycle. The season started promising, as he took two second places behind Giacomo Agostini. However, during practice for the fifth race, on the Sachsenring in East Germany, Ivy was touring back to the paddock with his helmet resting on the tank when his motorcycle’s engine seized. He was thrown from the bike, sustained massive head injuries, and died in hospital.

Frantisek BOCEK Czech GP 350 – 21 July 1969, Brno. Coming only one week after the death of Bill Ivy, the loss of Frantisek was the last straw for Jawa’s international hopes. František Boček – Ivy’s team mate at Jawa – was killed on the third lap of the 350 race. František Boček collided with János Drapál and Herbert Denzler, both on Aermacchi machines. All three fell and Boček suffered severa head injuries when he struck a wall.

Jack LINDH: d. 31.Aug.1969 – Tampere, Finland. Bo Granath advised, ” Jack was my teacher in 1961 when I started in the racing school and he became one of my very best friends and we did go to racing together for many years. He crashed in Tampere in Finland 1969 in the 500 race on a Matchless G-50. The right picture is before the start that race. I was on his side at the start and his engine did not stop owing to his Amal GP carb had worn out threads on the topring of the carb. I told him to engage a gear a stop the engine, and then I told him “be careful”. However he crashed and died because of this or possibly a miscalculation. There was a heavy braking after the backstraight and on a film of the accident he is lying down behind the screen when he should have started braking. I did buy his crashed bike to find out what happened but could not find anything wrong with the bike. Jack was a very good rider and in the East-German GP 1969 he finished 9th in the 500 on his Matchless”. Submitted by Bo Granath. Click on image to enlarge.

28 thoughts on “1960 – 69

  1. Yes thanQ I’ve relived all those happy moments plus of course dear friends I’ve loved and lost RIP one and all

  2. Thanx for the memories conclusion I wouldn’t have missed one moment,, to the friends I’ve lost and loved RIP my brothers

  3. My brother knew Fred Neville and he was a regular visitor to our home in West Wickham to play cards with my parents and my brother’s friends. My job was to make all the sandwiches for these late night forays! He had a cap which he considered to be his “lucky cap” and sadly he left it behind at our house before his last race. My brother and our family were really sad about Fred because he was such a lovely guy. As a youngster I was always banned from going on the back of bikes but of course I did.

    • I,ll never forget fred he was my idle,so sad to here is death at the is of man Manx. I’m sure he would have been world champion. I painted my helmet red as well. I’m 75 now I, ll never forget him. Superb rider.dave.

      • I watched Fred at Brands many times he was an amazing rider so sad when we lost him in the Manx GP he would have become a champion

    • Lovely to read your contribution, Jenny. I was a huge Fred Neville fan and recall one of his lap records stood for a long time at Brands.
      In the 1960s we lived in Woodmansterne, my uncle lived in Carshalton where, I read in ‘MCN’ Fred was a greengrocer. I’ll never forget the Stop Press piece in the Evening News ‘Neville dies in ambulance..’ That upset me for a long time and I was sorry never to have met Fred.
      On BBC ‘Sportsview’ the narrator mentioned that Fred Neville had led the Junior race, without telling of his crash. Our Dad said that was out of respect for his family, though I felt disappointed for Fred.
      At the National Museum I think in 2016, Phil Read MBE, told us Fred was a great mate of his in the early days. I think of F.A.N. from time to time – always will, he was very talented, not to say irreplaceable.

  4. I was a Sidecar Passenger in the 1960 TT, Then spent 2 years with the “continental Circus” I knew and remember many of those riders, it was a grim reminder of things that could happen, still took the risks.

  5. Jack Lindh was my dad’s brother. So nice guy. My dad Donald Lindh also competed in the TT but stopped after Jack died

  6. The Lovely Wife always said, while I was an amateur racer at Willow Springs on my Geneva Green RD400, if you go, it’s while you’re doing what you love. Top of the world, ma!

  7. Reading these stores bring back some great memorys ,
    I race brands and silver stone and a few other tracks
    Did my best ran out of money? But still had fun!

  8. What about my friend,, and fellow competitor Carl Todd, killed in the Killinkey 100 at Dundrod 1961. They have even got the dates wrong. I knew Carl very well, we had several close battles at Silverstone and Mallory, Brands, etc.
    Both of us had 1960 350 Norton’s.
    Tony Atkin 07455v005944.

  9. Sad and shocking to recall how blase’ we were back then about rider deaths. It was always sad – and then on to the next race, lads.

  10. in memory of my father Jim Bound, who raced at many circuits but ceased after his race in the 1958 T.T. due to coming off his Montesa and injuring his shoulder; and to all these wonderful riders of the 1950`s and 1960`s era whose names I will always remember

  11. Although I raced for only about three years – up to approx.1960, it was such great fun ~ earlier years competing with my father Jim Bound; how well I remember most of the names mentioned ~ they will never be forgotten. [Please, may anyone know what happened to Pauline Dale, who also raced 50cc machines.]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *